WHAT INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
We collect two basic types of information from you in conjunction with your use of the website(s): (1) personal information, which is any information that individually identifies you (E.g., your name, email address, telephone number, postal address, credit card information) and (2) non-personal information, which is information that does not personally identify you but may include information about your interests, demographics (E.g., age, gender, 5-digit zip code) and use of the website(s). We collect this information in the following ways:
INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE DIRECTLY TO US
We may ask you to provide your personal information, demographic information or information about your preferences or interests when you:
- Register for an account on the website(s)
- Sign up to receive email newsletters from us
- Make a purchase on the website(s)
- Enter a contest or sweepstakes
- Participate in surveys or special promotions
- Participate on social media accounts involving our authors, books or brands
- Participate in communities or forums on the website(s)
- Submit user generated content on any part of the website(s) that permit it
- Knowingly volunteer information on any other part of the website(s) (E.g., request for customer service, submit a job application)
INFORMATION COLLECTED USING TECHNOLOGY
In addition to any information you provide directly to us, we and our third party service providers may use a variety of technologies that automatically collect certain non-personal information when you interact with the website(s) or emails sent to you, including the following:
We may collect certain information about your computer or other device that you use to access the website(s), including IP address, geolocation information, unique device identifiers, browser type, browser language, and other transactional information.
We may log certain information about your use of the webite(s) (E.g., log files, clickstream data, a reading history of the pages you view, your search terms and search results) and additional “traffic data” (E.g., time of access, date of access, software crash reports, session identification number, access times, referring website addresses).
Some of our applications may deliver content based on your current location if you choose to enable that feature of the app. If you enable the location-based feature, your current location will be stored locally on your device, which will then be used by the app. If you elect to have a location-based search saved to your history, we will store that information on our servers. If you do not enable the location-based service, or if an app does not have that feature, the app will not transmit to us, and we will not collect or store, location information.
COOKIES, FLASH COOKIES AND WEB BEACONS
COLLECTION OF INFORMATION FROM OTHER THIRD PARTY SOURCES
We may also collect personal and non-personal information about you from other sources to, among other things, enable us to supplement the information contained in our database and to better customize your experience with VW.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use the information we learn about you to help us personalize and continually improve your experience with VW. We may use your personal and non-personal information in the following ways:
- Provide you with the products and services you request
- Post your user generated content to our website(s) as you request
- Communicate with you about your account or transactions with us and send you information about features on our website(s)
- Communicate with you about changes to our policies
- Send you newsletters, offers, and promotions for our products and services, third party products and services, or special events by email or another medium
- Personalize content and experiences on our website(s) and within emails sent to you, including providing you recommendations based on your preferences
- Serve you targeted advertising, both on our website(s) and elsewhere online, based on information we previously collected from you, including your activity on the website(s) or activity on third party websites and applications
- Administer our loyalty programs
- Administer contests, sweepstakes, promotions, and surveys
- Optimize or improve our products, services, and operations
- Detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal
- Perform statistical, demographic, and marketing analyses of users of the website(s) and recipients of our emails, including browsing and purchasing patterns
COMBINATION OF YOUR INFORMATION
When you use more than one of our website(s), we may match information collected from you through each of those website(s) and combine that information into a single user record. We may also use and/or combine information we collect off-line or from third party sources to enhance and check the accuracy of your user records.
WHO WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION WITH
THIRD PARTY SERVICE PROVIDERS
We have third party service providers that perform functions on our behalf, such as hosting, billing, marketing, analytics, customer service, fraud protection, etc. These entities have access to your personal information only as needed to perform their functions and they are obligated to maintain the confidentiality and security of that personal information. They are obligated not to use, sell, distribute or alter this information in any way other than to provide the requested services to the website(s).
THIRD PARTIES WITH WHOM WE DO BUSINESS
AUTHORS WHOSE WEBSITES WE MANAGE
CORPORATE PARENTS AND AFFILIATES
We may share your personal information with our corporate parents and other affiliated entities for a variety of purposes, including business, operational, and marketing purposes.
OTHER THIRD PARTIES WHEN REQUIRED BY LAW OR IN EMERGENCY SITUATIONS
We may also use or disclose personal information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to (a) conform to applicable law or comply with legal process served on us or the website(s); (b) protect and defend our rights or property, the website(s) or our users, and (c) act under emergency circumstances to protect the personal safety of us, our affiliates, agents, or the users of the website(s) or the public.
Our website(s) may provide you with the ability to register, log into, “like” or otherwise interact with third party social media services, including, but not limited to, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, and other social media services. These features may enable integration and/or access to your social media accounts. We do not control these social media services or your profiles on these services, and we do not establish privacy settings or rules for how your personal information on these services will be used. If you choose to log on to or submit information through any of these social media services, your personal information will be subject to the applicable social media service’s terms and conditions and your current privacy settings on such social media service. By accessing any social media service, you will be assuming the risk that the personal information you provide on that service may be viewed and/or used by third parties for any purpose. You agree that we are not responsible for any acts or omissions by these social media service providers.
SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
VW takes reasonable steps to help protect and secure your personal information. However, please remember that no data storage or data transmission over the Internet, or by other means, can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Thus, VW cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us. Therefore, you understand, acknowledge and agree that you transmit your personal information to our website(s) at your own risk.
THIRD PARTY CONTENT AND LINKS TO THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
PUBLIC AREAS, FORUMS, REVIEWS, AND COMMUNITY AREAS
HOW TO OPT-OUT OR CORRECT YOUR INFORMATION
You may always opt-out of receiving future commercial emails and newsletters from VW. We provide you with the opportunity to opt-out of receiving such communications from us by clicking on the unsubscribe link within the email you receive. You may also opt out of receiving further communications from us or correct your information by sending us a message at email@example.com. Please note that your request not to receive unsolicited commercial emails from us will not apply to messages that you request or that are not commercial in nature. For example, we may contact you concerning any purchases you have made with us, even if you opt out of receiving unsolicited commercial messages.
HOW TO CONTACT US